Monday, October 19, 2009

Chainmaille Homage to Anne Mitchell










My first chainmaille experience was at the Bead and Button show. Anne Mitchell taught a class on the Queens and Byzantine weaves. Two sterling bracelets for less than $100 was a fabulous bargain, especially at the B&B. I was so thrilled with the results, that I bought this kit, Mermaid Mesh, and my friend bought two others kits for me to make for her. I also bought a fabulous toggle from Kate McKinnon to use for this bracelet. The second picture shows this toggle on a different bracelet.

This was a challenging weave to do as a second project. Understanding the weave was easy, it was manipulating without destroying those tiny rings in the center of the weave that was the big challenge. I'd like to say I've learned my lesson about not doing advanced work too soon, but I know I'll do it over again (and have many times). I did learn that, with rare exceptions, I don't like toggles with chainmaille. You have to create an extender chain for the bar to fit through the toggle and most often it shows. It's a disruption to the weave that I find unattractive. I found this clasp recently from ClaspOn-Clasp Off, and I love it. It's perfect for this piece.

2 comments :

Live, Love, Laugh, Write! said...

I'd love to learn some chain maille - but I have so many projects on my plate I don't know if/when I'll ever get to it!

Marsha Wiest-Hines said...

Gotta say I too know ZIP about chain maille, but these bracelets are lovely. Great blog beginnings!